WBENC (Women’s Business Enterprise National Council)
The WBENC is the leading nationwide third-party certifying organization for Women's Business Enterprises (WBEs). Its certification is the most widely recognized private sector certification in the U. S. and is accepted by hundreds of corporations (its’ primary use to target major corporations). WBENC Certification is the national standard for woman owned businesses and, via WBENCLink, provides purchasing managers with access to over 10,000 WBENC certified companies.
The benefits of certification also include: (1) Access to mentoring, education, and capacity development; (2) Eligibility for regional representation and national recognition; (3) Eligibility to promote your business through use of the WBENC certified WBE seal on your marketing materials and WBENC sponsorship at national events; and (4) The WBENC as your company’s advocate on key women’s business issues.
- Majority owner and operator of the business is a woman.
- The relatively simple eligibility criteria begets the extensive documentation required to validate that the owner and operator of the business truly is managing the company.
The required documentation is very extensive. The board categories include:
- History of Business
- Professional and business license(s) (if applicable)
- Resumes for all owners, directors and key management positions
- Financial Documentation - Financial structure, financial statements (P&L and balance sheet) and Federal Income Tax returns, loan agreements, note(s) payables, security agreement(s), real estate lease(s), as well as a copy of bank signature authorization and proof of capital and/or equity investment by the female owner(s)
- Employees - List of all full and part-time employees by name, position and length of employment
- Copies of W-2s and 1099 forms for owner(s) and officers/directors
- Evidence of gender and citizenship for female owner(s)
- Affiliate/subsidiary agreements - Any agreements with individuals and/or vendors who are providing consulting/management along with any franchise agreement(s)
- Governance Information
*Only $1000 when combined with 8a Certification